Assume there are four interrelated tables. One may want to create a pivot that allows one to filter data by using the slicers. Data should be filtered by the following interdependent slicers selections: Customer, Country and segment. The logic behind the pivot when using the slicers shall be as follows:
1. Feature N is only shown if relevant to Customer X in Segment Y and Competitors do not possess Feature N
2. Competitor X is only shown if Competitor X exists and is active in Country Z and is relevant to Customer Y in Country Z
So after slicer selections are made, the idea is to display all features that one can offer and are relevant to the respective customer in the respective segment and country, regardless of whether the competitors can offer them or not. So if one competes with competitor 1 in a specific project and offers features 1, 3, 7, offering the very same features to our shared customer does not make sense. The customer won’t see a benefit in choosing me over competitor 1.
Here’s an elaborate example:
1. If one selects Customer 1/Segment A/Country 1 from the three slicers, then the Pivot Table should display as follows:
1. Row Labels – Display features in pivot if they are implemented or relevant. The ones in Blue are implemented and the ones in green are relevant. The pivot now shows that competitor 1 does not have features 2 and 9 which. Thus one’s sales pitch will focus on offering features 2 and 9. This section should also show data for Feature benefit calculation.
2. Column labels – Competitor 1 and 2 are displayed in the Pivot Table because they are both relevant in Country 1.
3. Competitor has/does not have feature (Value area section) – The following competitors have the same features I can offer my customer 1 in segment A:
- Competitor 1 has features 1, 3, 7
- Competitor 2 has features 3
Therefore they are marked with an “x” whenever they have the features.
The other competitors also have features that I offer to customer 1 in segment A, but since they are not active in Country 1, they are automatically not displayed when using the slicers.
You may refer to my solution in this workbook.
You may also view a video of my Power Query solution here: